Finn McLellan is a queer, autistic, trans fantasy writer with a particular penchant for gaslamp fantasy and Gothic horror. He lives in the UK with his two wonderful partners, and is currently working on his first novel.
He's also not sure why he's writing this in the third person
Finn identifies as Bi(-ish), Trans & Queer and prefers the pronouns Him/His.
We sat down with the beautiful Finn for an interview! I'm excited!
1. Besides LGBT+ OwnVoices, anything else in your books OwnVoice (mental illness, physical disability, etc.)
I'm autistic, which occasionally means some of my characters end up reading that way whether I intend them to or not - so I guess that's accidental OwnVoices rep? I've started to work on writing more protagonists with my particular flavour of hypermobility-linked issues as well, since it's not something I see a lot of in fiction right now.
2. What is the best money you've spent as an author?
Honestly? Getting a laptop I can actually carry without causing myself massive shoulder pain. Huzzah for suddenly being able to write in coffee shops again!
3. Do you view writing as a "spiritual" practice?
I think it depends on the day, and on what I'm writing, but I've certainly had what I'd describe as spiritual experiences while writing before. I mean, I've also had days where every word was like pulling teeth, and days when I've had hour-long rows with my characters over the fact none of them want to go anywhere near the nice plot-hook I've laid out for them, so...
4. Have you ever googled yourself? Anything interesting?
Ha! I've done it before, out of curiosity, but there's not much out there.
5. What part of life do you write most about? (Child, Teenager, Adult, etc.)
Adult - I'm not very good at writing kids, and I'll need a few more years before I'm comfortable revisiting teenagerhood.
6. You've been transported to the world of Harry Potter! What House do you want to be in? Who do you try to date (if anyone)? Is Harry your BFF or the antagonist?
Hmm. If we're going with the fan interpretations of the Houses, I'm probably Slytherin. In canon, I'd far rather be in Ravenclaw. I'm not the dating type (with two exceptions who know exactly who they are), so no answer to that question, and I suspect I'd be spending half my time trying to avoid the chaos that the Golden Trio spread in their wake.
7. You meet your favourite author! They tell you they've read your book and LOVED it! What is your reaction?
Um... Happy flapping and possibly going non-verbal, if I'm entirely honest. I think I'd probably manage to squeak some variation of 'thank you!', but oh gods I would be pretty much just a sort of a happy mess.
8. You're at the club (I know we're both probably introverts but like, play along) Your favourite song comes on! What is it?
If we're talking clubbing, metal all the way. And with that in mind, probably something by either Iron Maiden or Turisas.
9. You're transported to your WIP! What is your relation to the MC?
I'd likely get on pretty well with Viola, be quietly irritated by Fest (at least, until he grows up), hope to the hells I *don't* annoy Archer, and stay out of Sabbat's way until I know for sure what kind of mood he's in.
10. Anything else the readers of this world should know about you?
Um. I can juggle fire? Also throw knives and swordfight. I think I missed my calling as some kind of fantasy rogue/circus performer somewhere along the way.
If Finn seems like your kind of author, you can follow him on Twitter @house_of_five
He also has a personal website: https://saranadosfiction.wordpress.com/
Finn is currently not published, so follow his Twitter to keep up with his writing!
We thank JM Wolf for joining us today!
Tune in tomorrow for our next author, Crystal Queer!