K.M. Cambion is a Midwest-based writer and happy parent of a beautiful cat. They write queer-flavored books in a variety of genres.
Fun Fact: KM's birthday is on June 28, 2018!
KM identifies as Queer, pan, trans, nonbinary and prefers the pronouns They/Them.
KM let us interview them, so we scooped up the opportunity!
1. Besides LGBT+ OwnVoices, anything else in your books OwnVoice (mental illness, physical disability, etc.)
With the exception of sexual violence survivor, I don't think I've explored other OwnVoices in my writing yet. Mental illness (depression, anxiety, paranoia), physical disability (fibromyalgia that's led to constant joint pain and limping), chronic pain, paganism, and living below the poverty line would all be OwnVoices for me.
2. What is the best money you've spent as an author?
Buying Mircosoft Word. I know that's boring, but it's the easiest way to trade documents with others for betaing and submissions.
3. Do you view writing as a "spiritual" practice?
In the sense that I have a patron god of the arts and I view my finished work as an act of devotion, as well as my devotion to Him as a way to improve my craft. The writing itself isn't spiritual, though.
4. Have you ever googled yourself? Anything interesting?
I've searched my own name on Twitter, but never googled myself. I found some reviews that I'd never read before. I do tend to read them so I can get an objective view of where I can improve, when there's constructive criticism in said review.
5. What part of life do you write most about? (Child, Teenager, Adult, etc.)
Adulthood. I don't really remember my childhood, and I've been so out of touch with what teenagers are like that anything I did write about them would have to be set during when I was a teen.
6. You've been transported to the world of Harry Potter! What House do you want to be in? Who do you try to date (if anyone)? Is Harry your BFF or the antagonist?
Whenever I do those online tests, I get sorted into Ravenclaw. I don't think Harry would be either. I've seen what happens to people around him. I'm gonna stay right the hell out of his way until near the end of the series.
7. You meet your favourite author! They tell you they've read your book and LOVED it! What is your reaction?
"I...what? Y-you read it? Holy shi--wow, that's so cool! I had no idea you even read my kind of stuff! Well. Wow. Um, I'm not sure what to say. Thank you!"
8. You're at the club (I know we're both probably introverts but like, play along) Your favourite song comes on! What is it?
"Take Me To Church" by Hozier. The club's about to get really somber.
9. You're transported to your WIP! What is your relation to the MC?
I'd probably be one of the survivors of the zombie apocalypse, somehow. I'd be amiable and hopefully have stuff to trade with him for food for myself and, more importantly, my cat Aurora.
10. Anything else the readers of this world should know about you?
If you have a Twitter, I'd love to see you there! Follow me for updates about my writing, strange little life tweets, and pictures of my cat!
If KM seems like your kind of author, you can follow them on Twitter @kmpenemue
Where Can We Find Your Books?
Here's my books with Less Than Three Press!
We thank KM Penemue for joining us today!
Tune in tomorrow for our next author, Rebecca Langham!