Marn is a self-publishing horror and supernatural fiction writer. She has one completed web serial under her belt, and is currently working on another, a collaboration with her girlfriend. She loves Coen Brothers movies, true crime podcasts, Humans vs. Zombies, and bad reality television. She is not that dark shape on the edge of the woods. It's probably nothing to worry about.
More about Marn S.; Marn is a self-published writer and aspiring librarian, currently working on a queer, post-apocalyptic road trip web novel with her girlfriend (you can read it for free at http://prairiesongserial.com/). She has one completed serial (http://antlerscolorado.com/) under her belt, as well as several short stories, which she hopes to compile a collection of someday soon. Marn is a big fan of horror, the occult, and the surreal, and draws inspiration from the John Dies at the End series, Coen Brothers movies, Twin Peaks, and the works of Joe Hill.
Marn identifies as Bisexual and prefers the pronouns She/Her.
Here is an interview with Marn S.!
1. Besides LGBT+ OwnVoices, anything else in your books OwnVoice (mental illness, physical disability, etc.)
The main POV character of my completed web serial Antlers, CO is Jewish, and most of my short stories revolve around very Jewish things!
2. What is the best money you've spent as an author?
In all honesty probably...getting an English degree. Being crushed under the weight of student loans sucks, but I met some great professors and took classes that really inspired me to write things I never would have considered otherwise.
3. Do you view writing as a "spiritual" practice?
I view writing as kind of like pulling teeth. It's tough at first but then the anesthetic hits and you're on a roll.
4. Have you ever googled yourself? Anything interesting?
My Google results are overtaken by articles about the Hitchcock movie Marnie, so not really!
5. What part of life do you write most about? (Child, Teenager, Adult, etc.)
Adult, for sure.
6. You've been transported to the world of Harry Potter! What House do you want to be in? Who do you try to date (if anyone)? Is Harry your BFF or the antagonist?
First of all, Hufflepuff pride. Second of all, I become best friends with all the ghosts. Third of all, I stay very far away from Harry Potter and his mischief.
7. You meet your favourite author! They tell you they've read your book and LOVED it! What is your reaction?
Just die, I guess. [R.I.P Marn S]
8. You're at the club (I know we're both probably introverts but like, play along) Your favourite song comes on! What is it?
Probably something by Carly Rae Jepsen, if we're at a club. Most of the music I like is not suitable for clubbing. [AHHH, I love Carly! I could rock out to Cut To The Feeling on the DAILY!]
9. You're transported to your WIP! What is your relation to the MC?
Assuming I'm transported to the post-apocalyptic world of Prairie Song, I'd probably be an extra who dies in a gunfight or of dehydration somewhere. Maybe I'd get eaten by muties.
10. Anything else the readers of this world should know about you?
I make a mean garlic bread. [Make me some gluten free bread and we're talking!]
If Marn S. sounds like your kind of author, you can find her on Twitter @badscaryplace
Where can we find her books?
http://antlerscolorado.com/ - free (completed) web serial
http://prairiesongserial.com/ - ongoing web serial
https://marniesilverman.itch.io/ - short stories
You can also support Marn by joining her Patreon!
That's all for today! Come back tomorrow for our next showcase, B.J. Smyth!
Thank you for stopping by!