Edwin Betancourt is a Poet, Writer and screenplay writer hailing from the Bronx, NY. When he isn’t trying to change the world with his writing, he could be found singing 80’s Pop karaoke.
His main goal is to create tv shows that cater to the LGBTQ community whether it’s a drama, comedy, musical etc; he wants to show character that aren’t stereotypical LGBTQ characters
Fun Fact: Edwin looks exactly like who I envisioned Aaron from The Art of Falling In Love look like. Too bad he doesn't do modelling, I could have used him for my cover!
A little bit more about Edwin: As someone who grew up watching tv and seeing shows for escapism, I long to create LGBTQ+ programming that will show our community in a light that reaches far beyond sex but more about individuality, heroes, saviors and the occasional pirate ;)...what? Crushing on Pirates isn’t trendy anymore?
Edwin identifies as Gay, preferring the pronouns He/His.
Edwin sat down with Eli Summers for an interview!
1. Besides LGBT+ OwnVoices, anything else in your books OwnVoice (mental illness, physical disability, etc.)
I cover domestic violence, body shaming, suicide and anxiety heavily.
2. What is the best money you've spent as an author?
About $120 on author copies of my own book. Oy! [That Oy! makes me nervous... wasn't this money WELL spent?]
3. Do you view writing as a "spiritual" practice?
I honestly do. For me it’s about creating a new world, creating characters that would be seen as friends and relatable people.
Plus it really helps when someone upsets me, because I can add them in the story and torture them. *cue evil laugh* [The dream of every author ... well, maybe not dream but we feel you!]
4. Have you ever googled yourself? Anything interesting?
I have. Apparently I sell real estate, I died of old age, I dated a girl named Sarah and cheated on her with her cousin Margo...lots of scary stuff out there folks.
5. What part of life do you write most about? (Child, Teenager, Adult, etc.)
Teenager and Adult.
6. You've been transported to the world of Harry Potter! What House do you want to be in? Who do you try to date (if anyone)? Is Harry your BFF or the antagonist?
Hmm, Ravenclaw because they value creativity which is a must for me. I would probably use a spell to create my own boyfriend and Harry would be the antagonist.
I mean if you really look at it from the prospective of the students, most of the lives lost, destruction and chaos was caused by Harry so...just saying. [We couldn't call you a Potter-holic, hey? *insert laughter*]
7. You meet your favourite author! They tell you they've read your book and LOVED it! What is your reaction?
I would cry, gasp, be honored, Tweet about it because if it’s not Tweeted or posted on Instagram it isn’t true, and then I’d cry again.
8. You're at the club (I know we're both probably introverts but like, play along) Your favourite song comes on! What is it?
“Shebop” by Cyndi Lauper (don’t judge) [Don't worry, Edwin. We're not judging at all, we'll be right there rocking out with you!]
9. You're transported to your WIP! What is your relation to the MC?
I would be the foil to my character. Although he is a foil to me technically.
10. Anything else the readers of this world should know about you?
I am a crazy creative individual who enjoys meeting other crazy creative writers, to share works, trade reviews, share their works etc.
I also smile a lot...and I like glitter...
If Edwin sounds like your kind of author, you can find him on his Twitter @EddyBee26
He has a few things available! You can check them out below!
• My book “Monologues From A Homosexual Hazard” can be found on Paperback AND Kindle here:
• My short story series about a Male Witch can be found ONLY on Kindle here:
* Story 1: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C9Y9J6C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_ISO8AbCN49Y7S
* Story 2:
• My LGBTQ dramedy teleplay about a Gay Writer going on dates for his dating column can be found in BOTH Kindle and Paperback here:
That's it for Day One! We'll see you tomorrow with our next author, Stephanie!
Thank you for coming!