May Dawney is a long-time writer, short-time publisher of said work. In her spare time, she builds websites for clients and she used to work as a marketing professional. She lives in The Netherlands with her girlfriend and very fluffy cat and has a long history of engaging in very nerdy hobbies like tabletop role playing games, PC gaming, and lots and lots of speculative fiction reading.
A little bit more about May; When I was a child, my father read Asimov and Zelazny to me. As a teenager, I gravitated toward the likes of China Mieville, Charles Stross, and Tad Williams because they wrote jaw-dropping, gear-turning science fiction, (future) fantasy, dystopian, and occult novels, even though there was never a character I, as a queer woman, could fully identify with.
My motivation to write comes from the desire to create stories where women turn to women once they stop the apocalypse—be it a global or a personal one. I want to write the stories I wished my father could have read to me as a child: riveting tales with heroines who kick ass and just so happen to be gay.
May Dawney identifies as Lesbian and prefers pronouns She/Her.
We at down with Ms. Dawney for an interview;
1. Besides LGBT+ OwnVoices, anything else in your books OwnVoice (mental illness, physical disability, etc.)
I try to include many nationalities and skin colors, explore mental illness, and stretch "lesfic" as far as I can!
2. What is the best money you've spent as an author?
Besides paying for good editing? providing copies of my books to people who can't afford them.
3. Do you view writing as a "spiritual" practice?
It's work, but I put something of myself in every character I create, so they are near and dear to me.
4. Have you ever googled yourself? Anything interesting?
My pen name Googling is boring, because it's all books! I recently Googled my given name and found some really old Buffy fanfiction that I had completely forgotten about. That was fun!
5. What part of life do you write most about? (Child, Teenager, Adult, etc.)
6. You've been transported to the world of Harry Potter! What House do you want to be in? Who do you try to date (if anyone)? Is Harry your BFF or the antagonist?
I'd love to be a Hufflepuff (they're so cute and fluffy!) but I think I'd be a Ravenclaw. I would 100% try to pick up Nymphadora Tonks (and it now occurs to me she was a Hufflepuff, wasn't she? Hm, maybe not so fluffy then!) As for Harry, I think our paths wouldn't cross very often (let him sort out his ish on his own!) but when push comes to shove, I'd stand with him against Voldemort.
7. You meet your favourite author! They tell you they've read your book and LOVED it! What is your reaction?
Smile and thank them very much! Offer them a drink so we can talk about writing. Try to make friends. I am always open to more (author) friends!
8. You're at the club (I know we're both probably introverts but like, play along) Your favourite song comes on! What is it?
That depends on the day--even the minute! Right now, I'm binging Paramore. Before that, I was binging Alan Walker, and Chvrches before that.
9. You're transported to your WIP! What is your relation to the MC?
I'm currently writing The Kincaid Chronicles. Rayhana is a baby goth like I was at her age, and she's always eager to do good. She got that from me. She's also loyal to her friends and would rather sacrifice something of herself than have her sacrifice something of themselves.
10. Anything else the readers of this world should know about you?
Just to come find me on Twitter or Facebook or Instagram! I love talking to readers and non-readers alike!
If May Dawney seems like your kind of author, you can follow her on Twitter @MayDawney
You can also find her personal website: maydawney.com/
Where Can We Find Your Books?
We thank May for stopping by today!
Tune in tomorrow for our next author, Cameron!