Kevin Craig is a novelist and playwright. Their novels are; Summer on Fire, Sebastian's Poet, The Reasons, Burn Baby Burn Baby, Half Dead & Fully Broken, and, Pride Must Be A Place. Pride is an LGBTQ identified novel. Kevin is also a playwright. They have had ten short plays and two one-act plays produced for the stage. Kevin has had memoir, poetry, short fiction, and articles published internationally.
A little bit more about Kevin; Kevin Craig is a playwright, poet and author. They have had ten short plays and two one-act plays produced. Their poetry, memoir, and short fiction has been published internationally. Kevin was a founding member on the Board of Directors for the Ontario Writers Conference and is currently embarking on their third stint on the Board of Directors for the Writers' Community of Durham Region (WCDR). Kevin is a 5-time winner of the Muskoka Novel Marathon's Best Novel Award. Their novels include Pride Must Be A Place, Burn Baby Burn Baby, and, Half Dead & Fully Broken. Kevin is a proud parent and grandparent and lives in Toronto, Canada, with his partner, Michael.
Kevin identifies as Queer and prefers the pronouns They/Them.
We sat down with Kevin for an exclusive interview;
1. Besides LGBT+ OwnVoices, anything else in your books OwnVoice (mental illness, physical disability, etc.)
I explore mental illness in my novel The Reasons. The mother suffers from an undisclosed mental illness. I was diagnosed at seventeen with bipolar disorder. There is also mental illness in my novel Sebastian's Poet. The father in that novel suffers from PTSD as a result of childhood sexual trauma...which is something I also experienced.
2. What is the best money you've spent as an author?
I'd have to say money I've spent on workshops, retreats, and writing conferences. Writing is a craft I'll never grow weary of honing.
3. Do you view writing as a "spiritual" practice?
My definition of spiritual is loose, but YES. It feeds my soul. I have two spiritual practices...writing and walking. I'll do both until the day I die, or lose my legs. They're perhaps the most symbiotic spiritual practices in existence.
4. Have you ever googled yourself? Anything interesting?
Um. The underwear model with my name is NOT me. Neither is the crackpot alt-right American writer. I have found some posts about myself this way, too. Usually kind words about my novels, etc.
5. What part of life do you write most about? (Child, Teenager, Adult, etc.)
Teenager. I've written all three, of course. Two of my novels were for adults, but the other four are for teens with teen characters.
6. You've been transported to the world of Harry Potter! What House do you want to be in? Who do you try to date (if anyone)? Is Harry your BFF or the antagonist?
I do not belong to a Harry Potter house. I know it's an unpopular opinion, but there it is. My daughter is Gryffindor, if that helps.
7. You meet your favourite author! They tell you they've read your book and LOVED it! What is your reaction?
I die. Twice. Dead.
This actually happened with Wayson Choy, my favourite Canadian author.
8. You're at the club (I know we're both probably introverts but like, play along) Your favourite song comes on! What is it?
I'm going to go with my favourite CLUB song and if you know it you will know the kind of club I like. Bela Lagosi's Dead by Bauhaus.
9. You're transported to your WIP! What is your relation to the MC?
I am them. And I am also the BFF telling them how stupid they're being. And I am also the antagonist giving them a run for their money.
10. Anything else the readers of this world should know about you?
I'm an avid traveler and live to be somewhere else. I consider myself a pilgrim of the world. If I had it my way, I would never land in one spot for more than a week. It would just be the two of us and the world on a never-ending loop of discovery.
If Kevin seems like your kind of author, you can find them on Twitter @KevinTCraig
They also have a personal website: Www.ktcraig.com
Where Can We Find Your Books?
Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Kobo. Also, several can be ordered through bookstores if not shelved.
We thank Kevin for stopping by today!
Tune in tomorrow for our next author, Mads!