My name is Bee, full name Bieke, but let's be honest that's just way too hard to even explain how to pronounce to most people in the world. Books have been part of my life for almost two decades and I'm not even thirty years old. (I'm 27, thank you very much). Writing is my biggest passion and it has been for as long as I can remember. Though I think that love will be shared with someone special that is due to be born at the end of July. (Yes, I'm pregnant.)
I'm from Belgium and no I won't send chocolate and waffles.
Fun Fact: Bee has the same name as the insect I am anaphylaxis too! Although, I don't think I'm allergic to this author!
A little bit more about Bee; I'm Bee, a 27-year-old from Belgium who's had a long and stable relationship for books ever since she started her first year of Middle School. I started writing then too, poems at first, then silly songs, short stories and eventually, a very shitty and way too short book with an embarrassing amount of typos that nobody will ever get to read in my lifetime. I read, I blog, I write. Pretty much every bookish thing you can do, I'll have done it before. Including a crappy attempt at keeping up a proper bookstagram account and failed booktube videos. But next to books I also love movies and TV shows and I actually have a life outside my virtual one! I'm currently pregnant of my first child with my boyfriend, whom I've known for 14 years but we only just got together last year. Yes, the pregnancy was unexpected to say the least.
Other than that... I don't know what to tell you. So ask if you have any more questions I'd say. But no I'm not sending you waffles or chocolate.
Bee identifies as Panromantic Demisexual, preferring pronouns She/Her.
We sat down with Bee for an exclusive interview!
1. Besides LGBT+ OwnVoices, anything else in your books OwnVoice (mental illness, physical disability, etc.)
YES! My current, biggest project is also OwnVoice for mental health. The MC has Borderline Personality Disorder and Avoidant Personality Disorder just like me. And if it counts, another projects of mine features someone that is bullied just like I was.
2. What is the best money you've spent as an author?
That time I invested in the writerly program Scrivener. It is heaven, I tells you. [That is my favourite program too! I love how organized it is!]
3. Do you view writing as a "spiritual" practice?
Not really? For me, because I put so much of myself into my books, it's more a cathartic experience. Therapeutic. It's my way of expressing myself.
4. Have you ever googled yourself? Anything interesting?
Yes and no. I only ever find an old LinkedIn/Facebook account and my blogs so I wouldn't say there's anything interesting to be found.
5. What part of life do you write most about? (Child, Teenager, Adult, etc.)
Teenager, so mostly YA. But usually upper YA, so the MC's are all 17 or 18.
6. You've been transported to the world of Harry Potter! What House do you want to be in? Who do you try to date (if anyone)? Is Harry your BFF or the antagonist?
I'm a proud Hufflepuff! Harry wouldn't be my BFF but also not the antagonist. More like a friendlly acquaintance. And I'm not sure I'd try to date anyone, really.
7. You meet your favourite author! They tell you they've read your book and LOVED it! What is your reaction?
I flail for a second, then faint.
8. You're at the club (I know we're both probably introverts but like, play along) Your favourite song comes on! What is it?
Oh dear, that's a tough one... I'm going to say Sound of Silence by Disturbed. Very cheerful, I know.
9. You're transported to your WIP! What is your relation to the MC?
I'd probably be best friends with him for sure. And feed him all the beignets he wants because they're his favorite.
10. Anything else the readers of this world should know about you?
I really really really won't send you waffles or chocolate.
If Bee sounds like your kind of author, you can find her on Twitter @nbeewrites
Bee is currently unpublished but check out her Twitter to stay informed when she does publish!
You can also check out her website quitethenovelidea.com
We thank Bee Maesen for joining us today!
Tune in tomorrow for our next authors, Marn & Jordan!